Skip to main content

Kiski Area High School Learning Has No Boundaries - Every Child. Every Classroom. Every Day.

Main Menu Toggle
Counseling Center » Work Permits

Work Permits

In Pennsylvania, minors between the ages of 14–18 must obtain a Work Permit. (Work Permits cannot be issued to children under the age of 14). Work Permits are issued by the school district in which the student resides. It is only valid for employment within the State of Pennsylvania.

Applications are available in the Counseling Center or by clicking on this link:


*During the summer months a parent, guardian, or designated adult, may come to the High School Office with your student to apply for a work permit.  Please report between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and noon, Monday through Thursday.  If a parent or designated adult is unable to come into the building, you may print an application from the link above, complete it and send it in with your student along with one of the documents listed below. 


 The Application Process:

  • The Application for Work Permit [PDE-4565 (1/13)] will be filled out by the issuing officer upon inspection of acceptable evidence as proof of the minor’s age. Acceptable evidence of age (in order of preference include):
  1.  Transcript of birth certificate
  2.  Baptismal certificate or transcript
  3.  Passport
  4.  Other documentary evidence
  5.  Affidavit of parent or guardian accompanied by physician’s statement of opinion as to the age of the minor
  • The application must include the signature of the parent/guardian before a work permit can be issued. NOTE: Grandparent or sibling signature is not valid – unless proof of legal guardianship is provided.

The Work Permit Process:

  • For minors between the ages of 14 and 18:
  1. The issuing officer will complete Work Permit [PDE 4566 (1/13)] based on the information recorded on the Application for Work Permit.
  2. The issuing officer must witness the minor’s signature at “Signature of Minor”
  3. The minor will be instructed that they are to keep the blue permit in their possession until their 18th birthday. The permit is transferable to any PA employer. It may be shown to the employer to be photocopied but must be returned to the student. (These instructions are on the reverse side of the blue permit.)

For questions, please contact Lisa Williams, Counseling Center Administrative Assistant, 724-842-0416 or [email protected]



Helpful Links Pennsylvania Department of Labor & Industry – Child Labor Law

  High School Counseling Center
200 Poplar Street
Vandergrift, PA 15690